Monday, June 4, 2012

Moonlit roses



Last year I drew up some sketches of several skirts I was going to make for myself.  Someday.  Well, with one thing and another, it hasn't really happened, but then I had the chance to go fabric shopping WITHOUT CHILDREN and happily spent nearly 2 hours choosing just the right materials for a skirt.

So, over the next several weeks I messed around with my design a bit - drafting a pattern and even cutting some of the material.  But that was about as far as it went.

Then I saw that one of my favorite crafty blogs was having a "skirt week"and I decided to enter this skirt!  Which meant I had about 3 days to make it into reality.  Or throw the whole thing away.  Here's the finished product (modeled by a sweet friend).




I wanted something slim, with a high waist, having seen a photo from the '40s that I loved.  I also wanted to add a touch of softness and "flow" to what can otherwise be a rather severe line, so I decided to add a gathered chiffon pleat inside of the slit. 
 Here it is the first concept stage

and with the chiffon pleat added






Then I put on a few flowers and such. (I'll be adding a tutorial soon on how to make the gathered chiffon flowers
 pinning the embellishments in place

After that it was just a matter of sewing everything down, attaching the lining at the waist (that took a whole day to figure out, with the chiffon insert and no waistband!) and putting in the zipper and hem.  They are actually just basted in, since I am guessing at the size.



I think it came out fairly faithful to the original idea.  I had to give up on the peach color I had in mind, since I couldn't find a fabric I liked in the right shade.  But I'm really in love with the gray.








Drafting a non-maternity pattern just now was definitely a bit of a challenge.  I usually can try my "draft" on to see how it fits as a I go.  That was impossible right now, since I am nowhere close to the proportions I will be this time next year!  Cordelia's not really either, since she's still the size I was before child  #1.  Thanks to the help of another sweet and very patient friend, I got it figured out!




And I love it.  We'll see if I love it as much when I can actually wear it.



But for now, I will just enjoy the satisfaction of designing.

1 comment: