Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Refashion - dress from what?

After all that fun making dresses for the girls I didn't want to be left out.

The Tuesday before Christmas Steve and I were invited out to dinner - a grown up dinner, with no children!  (Well, the baby is still nursing every 2-3 hours, so he had to come, but he sleeps pretty much the whole time) And that afternoon when my mother's helper came, instead of doing any of the 2,001 things I needed to get done before we left for Christmas, I decided to make myself a new dress.
Out of an afghan.

It was something someone had made for us as a wedding gift, but Piper (our 220 lb lab mix) had used an edge of it as a chew toy one time, and I have never been sure of what to do with it.  I didn't really know how to fix the edge (have a mentioned that I cannot crochet?) and I didn't have the heart to just throw it out.  So it's sat around for the last five years, mostly being used by the kids to make tents.
And that day I figured, "what's to loose?"
a puppy's work
I really wasn't sure what it would come out like when I started, but I rather like it.  With knee high boots and a pretty scarf?  Unfortunately, after finishing it and trying it on that afternoon, I realized that there was no way I could nurse in it, short of taking the whole thing off, and so I didn't get to wear it that night after all.  Oh well, one of these days...


Instead of bothering with a pattern, I first cut the muslin slip and basted it together to be sure I had the fit I wanted.  Then I marked the few changes I wanted, and took it apart and used it as a pattern on my afghan. 
It was a really simple pattern - just 4 pieces, so it went together really quick.  I will say that cutting that blanket made a lot of fuzz everywhere!  I was finding it for weeks.


What do you think?

 with a belt?



back view

I still haven't worn it.  Maybe next winter when I'm not nursing anymore.

1 comment: