Thursday, September 8, 2011

nursery, baby quilts, and ideas needed

 Now that the "new baby" is almost a year old, I am finally getting the nursery ready!  She and A share a tiny room, so there's not a whole lot I could do.  I am still planning on repainting at some point -- the green I had in there for JL doesn't work with the new pink things that have moved in since the girls came.
Some projects move exceedingly slowly around here...

Anyway, here are the new touches in the "girl's room:


Wire mobile over J's crib (tutorial coming)

Bird mobile over A's crib



I also finished the bumper I made to match J's new quilt (more on that later)




 There are some more changes coming, following that paint job...
Maybe once I'm done with the garden for the year!

So, on to the quilts.  I have made a quilt for each of my little ones.
Here they are:

~JL's little farm boy ~
 
and Little Man himself!
 I used all quilting cotton for the Irish Chain pattern, then a wide variety of texture for the animals. I wanted him to really be able to explore texture with it.   It was lots of fun!


~A's tulips~ 


 I wanted a something warm and cozy for her, so I used a fine corduroy for the front, with appliqued flannel tulips and a variety of ribbons for the border.  The backing is also flannel.  I didn't want something completely pink either.  This was my first try at machine quilting!



J's I couldn't start until after she was born, since we didn't know if she was a boy or a girl!  And then somehow time just slipped away from me, until here it is almost a year later.  I am determined to have it done for her first birthday, and it almost is.  I had so much fun with all of them, but I think J's is my favorite so far.


~J's love birds~
  





 For hers I used a mixture of quilting cottons, flannel, corduroy, and seersucker.  The backing is an adorable flocked muslin I found that finishes it off just perfectly.

The only thing left is to attach my layers.  But I don't know what to do! 
Hand quilting?  nice, but so slow!
Tieing?  all those little ties might be cute...
Machine quilting?  but how, exactly?  would I go around all the applique, or just stitch right over them?

 So, I need some advice.  What should I do with it?  I just have one more month til her birthday!









1 comment:

  1. These quilts are all gorgeous! I don't know which finish you should use, but my experience is that quilts are sturdier and last longer if they are quilted rather than tied. I'm not sure why this is, maybe in washing the tied fabric moves around more and wears out. I know my girls quilts needed plenty of laundering and the tied ones wore out faster.

    ReplyDelete