Monday, July 23, 2012

T-Shirt Week

Who, like me, has a big stack of old college t-shirts in the closet?  The ones that you never wear (wish they fit!), but have too many memories to actually get rid of?
Well, this week I decided to try to come up with one new thing I can do with a t-shirt (besides turning them into rags) every day.  Something I will actually use.

Here's the stack I'll be working with...


And here's the first thing I tried - shoe bags


Now, instead of putting my shoes in plastic Kroger bags when I need to pack them, I can just toss them in these cute, washable, re-usable, lots-of-college-memories sacks and toss them in the suitcase!






I actually tried two different versions, one with a drawstring, and one using the original neckline.


Want to make some?  They were seriously easy -- it only took about 20 minutes to do the drawstring one, and even less for the other!

Drawstring bag:
One. Cut out a rectangle from both sides of the t-shirt,  just a bit bigger than a pair of shoes.


Two.  Sew the two rectangles together on three sides, right sides together.  Turn the sack right side out.


Three.  Draw a line straight down the center of the sack, and sew over the line to make 2 compartments (one for each shoe).


Four.  Now, turn the top edge to the inside 1" and sew along the edge, forming a casing for the drawstring.  Don't forget to leave a little opening.

Five.  Thread the drawstring through, starting and ending at your opening.  I used an old shoelace.


DONE!


Original Collar:

One. Cut out a rectangle to fit your shoes.  (Mine is a little big because I wanted to use the whole logo.  Use the top edge of the shirt for the top of your rectangle.

Two. Sew the two rectangles together, right sides together.

Three.  Turn the sack right side out.  Mark the center and sew a line 3/4 of the way up from the bottom.

DONE!



No comments:

Post a Comment