Wednesday, September 26, 2012

just a few minutes

I had about a 1/2 hour today while the kids were all happily coloring (and would be just as happy to color each other and the table/walls/etc if left alone for a minute).  Dinner was already in the crock pot, and there was nothing I really had to do.  So I cleared a little space for myself in the corner of the table, where I could keep an eye on the aspiring Van Goghs, and turned on the sewing machine. 

I've been wanting to try a "flutter sleeve" shirt for a little while, and I had this polo Steve gave me that he got from a vendor ...  So I gave it a try.

What do you think?  Like it? Ugly?

I tried a few embellishments to liven up the plain camel color...
 a matching fabric ruffle

 a brown flower pin...

 some sparkly beads...

I think I like it.  Unfortunately, as you can see, it fits Cordelia just perfectly, which means there's no way it will fit me (since I have given up hoping to ever be back to my "pre-baby" size!)  So, if I want one for myself I am going to have to find a bigger polo.


It was really simple, in case you want to try your own.  It really did only take about 20 minutes.

How I Did It
Start with a knit shirt.  The larger the shirt, the wider a flutter sleeve you can get.  Cut it off across the chest and along the underarms.  Cut high enough that you get a nice slope to the "shoulder".  I cut it as high as the button placket would let me.  Then cut down the side seams.  Make sure it is symmetrical.
Pin your shoulder seams, right sides together.  Mark 8" across the top, to leave open for a neck hole (For about a size 2/4.  Add another couple inches for a bigger size.)  Be sure you have your opening centered!  Sew from the edge to the marking on each side, using a 1/2" seam allowance.

Turn the shirt right side out and mark your side seams.  I just held it up to the model and marked where I thought it would fit snugly.  Be sure to keep the seams symmetrical!  The should start to slope out at the arm, and end right under the arm.  Sew along your markings.

Trim the "flutter" sides to get a nice smooth edge at the bottom, tapering out from your seam.  I think I should have tapered this a little more.

That's all!  The knit edges don't have to be hemmed, which makes it a little more "flow-ey" and there's already a nice hem in the bottom to hold the shape.



No comments:

Post a Comment