Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wonderful Wednesday

It's been awhile since I've had the chance to while away and hour (or two) with my blog!  But this afternoon, all three of my children are asleep at the same time (hence the title, "Wonderful Wednesday"), and I have no very pressing duties elsewhere, so here I am!

Want to see some of what I've been up to in the last couple weeks?

I bought material for a new dress for me!  I even went so far as to cut it out, and then got sidetracked with turning
                       this
button down shirt that was getting too small for James



                  into this
 winter toddler dress


Perfect for walks with Mommy...


Or a game of football...






Then I finally fixed the waistband on this skirt, which has been sitting in the "do something about" pile for about 3 years...  It just always looked a bit funny at the waist....
 I used a strip from a t-shirt to make a wide wasitband for it.  I love the way it turned out, but sorry, no photos!


       I also have been working on a really neat project with a whole group of local ladies. Remember this advent calendar?  I was helping a friend finish some advent calendars to sell, the proceeds from which went to buy sewing machines for several orphan girls and widows in India, giving them a way to support themselves and their families.  (This is all through an organization called Global Partners)

        Well, now we are working on designing "Poverty Dolls" for the Indian girls to make and sell back here in the States.  We're doing 5 dolls, representing 5 people groups that are largely unreached with the good news of the gospel of Christ.  We had a fun "work night" (can you call it that if you have popcorn and brownies, and lots of laughter and conversation?) to try making dolls out of different kinds of materials, and try out hair and faces.  We came up with several things we liked, and several we didn't like.  By 11pm we had gotten a lot done, but had to call it a night!  Several ladies took dolls home to begin working on their clothing.  I got the Pingdi people of China, and the Tai Dam people of Vietnam.  I've had so much fun trying to find photos of traditional dress and figure out how to make it for an 18" doll!
Here's what I've come up with so far...

 Vietnam


 China


 Still work to do, but they're coming along.  I'll keep you updated on the project!


No comments:

Post a Comment