Sunday, February 12, 2012

a sudden fancy

After Bible study the other night, with the kids tucked safely in bed, I started pulling out my sewing materials to work on my dress (for about the 20th time).  As I was hunting for various objects I needed to begin laying it out, I started thinking about Ailidh.   Because who can stop thinking about this adorable little face!
 

More specifically, thinking about her coat.  It's been getting a little tight, this is definitely the last winter she'll be able to wear it.
     "Yes," I thought as I looked for my large shears, "she'll need a new one next year.  I wonder if I could make her one with something I already have.  Maybe a heavy sweatshirt."
      Then, as I spread out my pin board, "I have that old green sweatshirt.  I could play around with that and see how it comes out, then if I don't like it, I'll just throw it out."  So, again (for about the 20th time) I pushed the still uncut wool suiting aside, and pulled out an old sweatshirt and a pile of scraps.

      It's a pity, that wool really will make a nice dress some day.   But I must say, I think her new coat is awfully cute.  If only it didn't have holes and paint splatters all over it....




 How I Did It:

Here it is, more or less...
Start with a sweatshirt.

Fold it in half, and cut the appropriate shoulder width, down the side, leaving a curve for the arm, and tapering out toward the bottom.
 Cut down the front fold line, cut off the collar, and cut a gentle rounded shape.  Sew the new side seams.
 Take the old sleeves and cut a shoulder curve at the side near the cuff.  Cut the other end off at about the right length.  You can always cut it shorter after you try it on.
 Mark the waistline, and put a line of gathering stitches along it across the back, side seam to side seam.  Make a belt (I used scraps from Steve's old jeans!) and sew it down along the waist.  If you want ruffles around the neck, just fold a strip of fabric (twice the length of the neckline, from the belt) in half and gather the raw edge.  Attach it to the neckline.
Add snaps to the belt to close the coat, and any embellishments you want!



 Go play!




 And then, because after all, it is supposed to fit her next year, James sweetly volunteered to try it on.  In exchange for a candy...
He doesn't look quite as swamped as she does. 

     So, the idea was to just use this as a pattern coat and make a new, nice one with something that doesn't have holes and paint splatters all over it.  But we all know that once I've tried something once, I almost never come back to it.

This will probably be what you see Ailidh in all next winter, holes and all.

Unless I come up with another idea!















1 comment:

  1. You're sewing talent never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete