Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

I keep a little journal next to my bed, and sometimes at night (if I'm not utterly exhausted!) I'll write down the little funny things the kids do or say throughout the day.  Just one way I'm clinging to the baby-ness, which is already passing much too quickly!
I also sometimes include something that really tickles me here, (in the little box on the top right) but they disappear as soon as I put a new one, so I thought I'd have a little re-cap of the toddler-isms from the last couple months.

Enjoy!

 Summer Days

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve, singing to A (whose nickname is "ladybug"): "Ooooh, bug bug of mine!"
A: "I not buga buga mine!"
Steve: "What are you?"
A: "I just buga."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very early yesterday morning I was nursing the baby when I heard a little voice say from A's bed, "Is it morning Mommy? I get up?"
"No, sweetie, it's not time to get up yet." I said.
I heard nothing for a minute, then, with a little sob, "Mommy, I havin a hard day!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picking beans last night:
Me -- "JL, you have leaves on your back! You're supposed to pick the beans, not the leaves!"
JL -- "I didn't pick them, they just jumped on me. I guess they wanted a piggy back ride."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have JL's best friend A (our neighbor's little girl) staying with us this week while her parents are in England. The conversations between the two of them are hilarious! Listen in on this one with me...
I was explaining to the children that when we got home, the piano tuner would be there, so they could either play outside or be very very quiet and watch. JL piped up, "I want to watch because when I get big I want to try very hard to know what I have to do to be a piano tuner! Do you want to be a piano tuner when you get big, A?"
A replied, "No, I just want to be a person."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JL, running up to me and sobbing; "I fell on the patio, (sob) and hit (sob) my head (sob)!"
Me: "Oh sweetheart! Let me kiss it!"
JL: "My head doesn't hurt, my hand does."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JL: "This is my gun. I shot fire in the sky with it. It just shots water at the fire in the sky and puts it out. Because if there's fire in the sky, it might burn Jesus."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James, reading his Bible to Ailidh --
J: "That's Mary"
A: "She sad?"
J: "No, she's a mommy, she's not sad. She's just..."
A: "She dead."
J: "No, she's not dead. She's a mommy. Mommies take forever to die."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James, after a talk with Daddy about hitting his sister: "I'm sorry for hitting you, Ailidh."
A: "No, you're NOT!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Potty Training
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James, saying bedtime prayers:
"Bless Mommy, and Daddy, and me, the one that's praying."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After going to another event at the church where our homeschool co-op meets, James was excited to tell Daddy all about it:
"We went to my school, but it turned into a Baptist church!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After helping me shoo all the chickens back into the coop, James ran up to his daddy and said: " I am better than Mommy at chasing the chickens in. That's because I have CHICKEN POWER!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James, on the way home from Classical Conversations last week:
"Eliza and I were playing that God just made her and dropped her right down with her whole big body!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ailidh, to a lady who was visiting: "My brodder hit me wiff a stick!"
Me: "Ailidh, telling something wrong that someone else did, when it's already been dealt with, is very unkind. That's tattling."
Ailidh to the lady, whispering: "My brodder hit me wiff a stick."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
James, as he came running in, crying and rubbing his knee: "I feel down in the garden and hurt the elbow of my leg!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At our church's fall festival Ailidh fell in love with a couple of ducklings. Someone handed her a feather "to keep". "No!" she exclaimed, a very worried look on her face. "The duck needs to hold ALL his feathers!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James, explaining why he yelled at seeing a cricket in the hallway: "I thought it was a stink bug, but then I saw it had big antlers!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ailidh: "Mommy, I need a ice pack!"
Me: "Why, Sweetie?"
Ailidh: "Because, my, my, my feelings is hurting!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James: "Mommy, my bottom was snoring!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ailidh, after we went over a large bump in the car: "Mommy, please be gentle wiff me!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James: "I loved the train ride! I waved at everybody I saw! Even everybody that wasn't looking at me! But they didn't wave back."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daddy, as we were sitting down to dinner: "Do you know why we pray before we eat?"
James: " 'Cause it's hot!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joy: "Gaaa ya yaaa"
James: "She's singing 'Halleluia'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Watching for Daddy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the chuckles, Colleen! I Do miss those years.

    ReplyDelete