Thursday, September 8, 2011

When life hands you pacifiers....

you need pacifier clips!

J is our first child to use one of those "soothie" brand pacis.
JL would take anything even remotely nipple-shaped (he tried to nurse on the cat's tail more than once), and A has been a finger sucker from the start (we have the cutest little photo of her at 2 weeks with those same two fingers in her mouth!).
But not J.
Oh no.
She will take nothing but those funny little blue round "Soothie" brand pacis! You know, the ones that bounce and roll forever in who-knows-what crazy direction when you drop them, so that in the middle of the night you are crawling around the floor in the dark feeling under furniture and over dirty clothes (I'll admit it, there are dirty clothes on the floor in my house) and praying you can find it before she screams all the rest of the kids awake.
It didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that something must be done. However, does any store carry pacifier tethers that will attach to those funny pacis?

No.


Do they carry the pacis?

Yes.


And plenty of the clips for the other kind with handles, but nothing for us. SO I started looking on Amazon and found that they do make them -- cute little ribbons with a clip on one end and a piece of cording on the other to wrap through the hole. For $5, plus shipping and handling. Of course I can not pay that for a pacifier clip, which will probably be lost in about 2 days, so I stuck in the back of my mind and moved on.
Until a friend brought me a set of "Dora Explorer" mitten clips from Walmart that had been on clearance for .50 cents. Hmm, I thought, the wheels beginning to turn...
And here we are, a quick rummage through my scrap ribbon box and about 5 minutes later!
4 adorable pacifier tethers (if you like Dora) for .50 cents!




With this abundance of tethers I started looking around for something to do with them all (I had to make 4; after all, what would you do with 1 mitten clip?) And I found that it's the perfect thing to keep track of Bessie when we're out and about!


How I did it:
It's pretty self explanatory; just cut the elastic off the clips. (this would also work with old suspenders!) Cut a piece of ribbon, mine were about 12", I just used pieces I already had. Heat seal both ends. Feed the end through the bar on the clip, fold it over, and sew it down. For those of you who don't sew, glue it! For the other end, cut a piece of cording or thin ribbon (I used leftover drapery cording) about 5 inches long, you want to be sure the loop will be wide enough for the clip to pass through, and heat seal the ends. Attach that to the other end of the ribbon. You're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment