Thursday, October 13, 2011

new old shoes

Well, we've had a busy couple weeks here.  My trouble seems to be that if I sew, I don't have time to post about it, and if I don't sew, there's nothing to post about.
But I have been working on some things.  Mostly trying to get the nursery finished before Joy's birthday.  Since it's way too late to get it ready before she's born.  I'm almost there, and I'm looking forward to sharing some pictures.
But I've also been working on a few other things, and these shoes are one of them.

 These are some lovely vintage leather shoes I found at Goodwill for $2.  They look like they've never been worn, but unfortunately, the elastic was no longer "elastic-ey" and instead was just "stick-ey".

So, with my trusty seam ripper and some goo-gone, I took out the old elastic and cleaned off the stickyness.

 Then I replaced it with a piece of new elastic. I just used the same old holes in the leather, so the needle went through really well.  However, that bright white (the only elastic I had around) looks a little out of place.  You'll never guess what I used to take care of that!

 Yes, that's a crayola washable marker.  With three little ones around, naturally I am only too familiar with how well these work on clothing.  Sure, it will wash out, but who washes shoes?  Much better!

And here they are, good as new!  All for $2.

More projects coming -- one of these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment