Monday, August 1, 2011

Baby shower!

Well, we got the beautiful weather, unhappily we also got a huge tree right in the middle of the lawn.  Well, half of it fell in the middle of the garden and Steve put the half that was still standing in the middle of the yard. (Although he did wait til after the party to do that part.  He wasn't sure how we'd feel about the sound of chainsaws in the background.) Good thing we picked the corn last weekend!
So much for a lawn party.  So much for a lawn!
It was too hot anyway.
So we held it inside instead, and I think it went well.  A little crowded, but we all liked each other, so it worked out.



I really enjoyed the time of fun, games, and laughter with friends.  Baby showers are a blessing for all involved I think!  And it doesn't have to break the bank -- we found lots of things to do that were pretty simple and didn't cost much, if anything.  
If you are looking for some inspiration for your next baby shower, feel free to borrow any of my ideas!


      So here's the run down (a cloth diaper shower, for a baby boy, due in September)--

 Decorations:
I used blue hydrangeas that were blooming in my yard to make a very pretty, appropriate (and cheap!) centerpiece.  Then I cut little "diapers" out of some blue gingham scraps I had and hung them on a little "clothesline" of blue yarn (scrap bin again!) using some little clothespins from the school cabinet (which explains the little letters on them - no, it's not supposed to spell anything, but that would be cute!)
I cut little squares of the same scrap material and tied a couple Dove chocolates inside for party favors.  I put those in a basket with a stack of thankyou notes.  When the guests left, they wrote their address on an envelope for the mother-to-be, and took a party favor.


Menu:
Coffee
Orange juice
Sausage egg bake
Fruit tray
Monkey bread
Yogurt
Cherry cheese danish
Blueberry muffins










Games:

Prizes were some things I found in my craft stash-- stuff I had made for the fun of it, and here's a good use for it!







"Who's Who?"   I asked all the guests to bring a photo of themselves as a baby.  When they arrived I took each photo and placed it next to a number.  While everyone was helping themselves to the food and coffee, they could look at all the photos and try to guess which baby went with which lady. The guest with the most right answers (in our case, the amazing Emily from SavvyNest got them all right!) wins a prize.



"Name that song"  My sweet and very patient Steve put together 10 songs with the word "baby" in the title.  I played each one for about 5 seconds, and everyone had to guess the title.  Some of them were pretty hard.

If you're interested, here are the songs we used:
"Baby Love" The Supremes
"Hit Me Baby One More Time" - Brittney Spears
"My Baby Loves Me Just the Way That I Am" - Martina McBride
"Baby Got Back" - Sir Mix A Lot
"Santa Baby"
"Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On" - Mel McDaniel
"Baby Baby Baby" - TLC
"Sweet Baby James" - James Taylor
"My Baby Takes the Morning Train" - Sheena Easton
"Baby Boy" - Beyonce





"Guess the birth date"  I had a September calendar page up with  the due date marked and everyone got to guess which day the baby will be born.  The one with their name on the day the baby chooses will get a prize!



"Diaper the baby"     I had a big basket full of "babies" (or animals, since I couldn't find enough baby dolls for so many ladies) and a stack of cloth diapers.  Everyone got a few minutes to try to figure out how to diaper a baby the old fashioned way.  We had so many creative solutions to this perplexing problem that I couldn't choose a winner;  we just gave the prize to the mother-to-be.

 We also had a fun craft to work on while people were eating.  I had a stack of old magazines, some cardstock, scissors, and glue sticks (good old school cabinet).  All the ladies cut out fun phrases and pictures and made pages for a book of "advise on boys" for the mother-to-be.  It was a lot of fun!

 
 And a page for everyone  to write suggestions for the name of the new baby.
















Thanks to all the ladies who came and made it so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment