Feeling inspired by this shirt tutorial I mentioned in a previous post, I may have gotten a little carried away by the knit flower embellishments. But it's so easy and cute, and a great way to use all those t-shirts you never wear (or that your husband doesn't really need, right?)
So, here's a tutorial on how to turn an old t-shirt into an adorable toddler's dress in just one afternoon!
Then, I cut along both sides of the graphic in the back to leave myself a large rectangle of solid blue. (If your shirt has no graphic, you can skip this step and use the whole thing.) Once you have cut off the section you don't want, fold it in half, right sides together, and sew a new side seam. (Be sure to use a stretch stitch and a ballpoint needle whenever working with knits!) You should have a tube at this point, with the old shirt hem at the bottom and a raw edge at the top.
Next, fold the tube in half, with the shirt hem at the bottom, and matching your sides. (Notice I matched the side with no seam with the stitch line of the side seam, rather than the actual edge.) Cut a small curve into the top side edge, about 1" in and 2" down. This will be the arm hole. Having your sides together ensures that the armholes are symmetrical.
Cut two more pieces of ribbon the length you want your straps (measure the onesie from the place you measured the chest, and add 1") and heat seal those edges too.
Repeat for the back.
It should now look like a little dress!
Now, pin all those little flowers in place on the dress where you want them to be. Stitch them down, putting a little pucker in the material if you want to give it more texture.
Trim your threads and you're done!
Stitch a pucker into any leftover flowers, clue them to a metal clip and you have a matching hair bow!
Now go play!
Like I said, they were so simple and cute that I may have gotten a little carried away one night when Steve was out of town. I used several maternity tops someone had given me that were much too big. (Much more feminine colors than any t-shirts I could find in Steve's drawer.) Also, instead of the gathering stitch and ribbon across the top I finished my armhole edges first and then folded down an inch along both top edges to make a casing for a ribbon. This "drawstring top" makes it much more adjustable, so they can go in my stash for gifts for any size little girl!
I tried embellishing a couple plain little onesies too, cutting up stained onesies for the flowers.