Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Another Terrific Tuesday

(I wrote this post last week, actually, but forgot to post it with all the preparations for the tripThis Tuesday I'm just catching up on things around the house.  Not as much fun as a new dress, but necessary.)

Every summer our city does a series of outdoor concerts in a park downtown.  We go and sit in the grass and listen to the music; maybe dance a little.  We used to go all the time before we had kids.  Now we never seem to go anymore.
Well, several months ago Steve suggested we go to that week's concert.  The morning of, I was up nursing J at 5am, as usual, and got to thinking (never a very good idea at 5am
"What will I wear tonight?  Something pretty and cool and summery.  Nothing that I have in my closet."  
SO, after I put J back to bed I rummaged around in my pattern box, found a pretty piece from my fabric stash, and got out my sewing things.  The plan was to have the pattern cut and basted before the kids got up, and I'd finish it during nap time.
 
Vogue 8470.

Unhappily, I realized that the pattern I had (another .10 cent box find) was a size 18-24!  So I spent the next hour and a half redrafting the whole thing down to the size 8 I needed, and had really just started cutting when the kids woke and everything got crazy.  I did a little more during nap time, but had some trouble getting the fit just right (mostly due to the size change!) and finally gave up, and it's been sitting in my "projects pile" ever since.
Until this morning.  My wonderful "mother's helper" was here again today, and I finished it up!  Not in time for the concert, but a new dress is always exciting!




The neckline was much too low cut, so I added a little ruffle.  I thought about a matching pink strip around the top of the ruffle at the hem, but my scrap box failed me!  I couldn't find anything long enough for that full skirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment