Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Jeans to skirt, Part 2

 I just had to interrupt the "sewing school" posts to share this project with you!  Besides, I was getting a little tired of sewing by the rules and wanted to play around with something.  But if you're following along on my little school, don't worry, more lessons coming!

Well, I finally got around to taking photos of my second jeans salvage project (or more accurately, we finally got a sunny day when Steve was home, since James' photography skills weren't up to the job). 

 For those who missed part one, I had several pairs of jeans of Steve's, the legs of which were completely worn out and could not be patched anymore, but I didn't want to just throw them out like I usually do (after salvaging the back of the legs to use for patches on future pairs).  So, I thought I'd try to make something out of them.

Here's the "before" photos:
 

 And here's the "after":
 I think I like the first one better -- this one's a little more flamboyant than my usual style, but it's kind of fun!


 How I did it:
I did pretty much the same thing as the last skirt, only overlayed the denim loop with a piece of this green, lace, ruffled fabric I had in my stash.  (No idea what it is, it was in a pile I got from someone who was cleaning out their stash!)  I used some scraps of green linen I had to cover the pockets, zipper flap, and the hem of the denim underskirt.
Note -  If I were to do this again, I think I would use a piece of knit material as the underskirt (I'm thinking old t-shirt here!) since the heavy denim was HORRIBLE to gather, especially with that lace over top. Actually, that's why I added that little "bustle" at the back, to hide where the gathering didn't turn out very well

So, what do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment